You may be thinking to yourself, do I really need special shoes to play volleyball? The short answer is yes! While any old sneaker might suffice for a pick-up game or two, if you’re serious about the sport—or your feet—you’ll want to invest in a good pair of volleyball shoes. In this article, we’ll break down everything you need to know about volleyball shoes so that you can make an informed purchase. Let’s get started!
What are Volleyball Shoes?
Volleyball shoes are designed specifically for the sport of volleyball and provide players with the extra support and stability they need to perform their best. Volleyball is a high-impact sport that puts a lot of stress on the feet and ankles, so it’s important to have footwear that can provide the necessary support. In addition, because of the constant starts and stops, changes in direction, and jumps involved in volleyball, players need shoes with good traction that can help them move quickly and efficiently around the court.
What Type of Shoes are Used for Volleyball?
The main thing you are looking for is shoes that have good grip to the volleyball court, which generally means anything with a rubber soles. If you don’t get special volleyball shoes then many time basketball shoes are used as replacements since they provide ankle support and traction.
There are main types of volleyball shoes: indoor shoes, outdoor shoes, and sandals.
- Indoor shoes are designed for playing on a hardwood court and have a more flat sole with less tread than outdoor shoes.
- Outdoor shoes, as you might guess, are meant for playing on grass or concrete courts and have more tread to provide better traction.
- Sandals are NOT used for playing volleyball but are a great option to have for slipping on after practice or playing. Personally I love having sandals to throw on so I can let me feet breath a little after getting sweaty.
How to Choose the Right Volleyball Shoes
Now that you know a little bit more about what goes into making a good pair of volleyball shoes, you might be wondering how to choose the right pair for you. Here are a few things to keep in mind when making your selection:
- If you’re looking for a volleyball-specific shoe, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you’ll want to make sure that the shoe has good Ankle Support. When you’re jumping and moving around on the court, you need to be able to trust that your ankles will be supported.
- You’ll want a shoe with good Cushioning. This will help protect your feet and joints from the impact of all those hard landings.
- You’ll want a shoe with good Grip. This will help you stay stable when you make lightning-quick movements on the court.
- Consider what type of court you’ll be playing on most often (hardwood, grass, concrete) and choose accordingly.
- Take into account your foot type (wide vs. narrow) when selecting a shoe size. You want your shoe to fit snugly but not too tightly.
- Make sure to try on both shoes before making your purchase—even if they’re the same size and model as another pair you own—as sizes can vary from brand to brand.
- Wear the socks you’ll be playing in so that you can get an accurate sense of how the shoe will feel during game play.
- Once you’ve found a pair you like, buy them! Don’t wait too long or someone else might snag them up.
Purchasing Volleyball Shoes
There are lots of great places to buy volleyball shoes these days; however, we always recommend doing your research which is why we created an article that details the best volleyball shoes on the market. Where we detail the best shoes from the most reputable online retailers so you can find exactly what you are looking for. Just remember to do your research ahead of time so that you know exactly what size and model you want before clicking “add to cart.”
When it comes right down to it, purchasing a good pair of volleyball shoes is one of the most important investments any serious player can make. With all of the different variables to consider—court type, foot type, sock choice—it can seem like a daunting task; however, we hope that this guide has made it easier for you by breaking down all of the information into bite-sized pieces. So get out there and start shopping for your perfect pair today!